Eating fat does not make you fat!
Growing up in Barbados our dairy products came from Ireland, New Zeland and Australia. There was a cooking butter that was used in soups and gravies and added to rice after it was cooked We put butter on our bread. We did not have mayonnaise so our cheese sandwhiches were made with butter!
My dad worked as a Valuations Officer, He visited properties and determined the amount of property tax each home owner would pay. He visited a lady’s home one day and complemented her on her looks. She was a mature woman who did not look her age. My dad asked her what her secret was and she told him ‘butter on my food’!
Refined carbohydrates make you fat. Carbohydrates such as those listed below can sabotage your diet and result in weight gain.
REFINED AND SIMPLE SUGARS (often known as “added sugars”)
- Table sugar/white sugar ( cane sugar and beet sugar)
- Confectioner’s sugar (powdered white sugar)
- Honey other than raw, unfiltered homey (Cooked honey advertised as ‘100% natural’ affects your health in exactly the same way that other sugars do)
- Agave syrup, Corn syrup and high-fructose corn syrup, Brown sugar
- Molasses, Maple syrup, Fructose, Brown rice syrup
- Maltose, Glucose syrup, Tapioca syrup, Rice bran syrup
- Malt syrup, Dextran, Sorghum, Treacle
- Panela, Saccharose, Carob syrup
- Dextrose, dextran, dextrin, maltodextrin
- Fruit juice concentrates.
Your body need good fats to function properly, Enjoy them!
Nuts – walnuts, almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts, but not peanuts(peanuts are not nuts but are legume. A study has shown that eating 1.5 ozs (a handful ) of nuts a day helped decrease death from all causes by 20%
- Avocadoes, Oh so good. Great in salads, eaten on its own or in guacamole.
- Fatty Fish, – sardines, herring, mackerel and wild salmon (no farm raised). These fish are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Seeds – pumpkin, sesame, hemp and chia. U I use them as a snack or add them to my smoothies. Some men with enlarged prostates have seen reduction in the enlarged prostate and do not go to the bathroom as frequently to urinate.
- Eggs – they have a high level of Omega – fatty acids
- Extra virgin olive contains monounsaturated fatty acids which are good for the heart
- Coconut oil – Coconut oil is about 2/3 medium-chain fatty acid. It also contains lauric acid which is 50 percent of the fat content in coconut oil. This fat rarely rarely found in nature is a powerful virus and gram-negative bacteria destroyer.
So enjoy your good fat and stay healthy.